Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ghosts

SpookHead
The other day the subject of ghosts came up, and I got to thinking that might make for something interesting on my blog.
I am going to give two accounts from my father, tell about a couple of my sisters experiences, and everything else is going to be what I personally saw.
I remember hearing my father tell several times of something that he saw when he was a small boy, maybe around 12 years old, which would have been about 1917. He was walking home one day, and on the way home was a long abandoned house he had walked past many times. On this particular occasion, he saw a woman standing on the porch, she stood absolutely still, except that her head turned to watch my father as he walked by…he must have been quite close because he said he could see her eyes and she never blinked. “I always wondered if maybe she was a ghost” he said. This from a man who claimed to never have had a dream, who would not believe anything he could not see, touch or smell. Ghosts were bunk to him, and perhaps that is why I remember the story, because it was so out of character for him to say such a thing.
The house I lived in from birth to 17 years old, to put it bluntly, was haunted. When my Father moved to the Fairchild area, he bought land that had an old, dilapidated house on it. He and my mother lived in that house while my father built the new house along side the old one. My sister was born during that time, and eight years later I came along. That land had been previously owned by a man named “Lame John,” who, coincidentally, had a bad limp. He also had a questionable reputation in the area, and both my sister and I, in later years, came to believe that something very bad had happened there.
An experience my sister had when she was about 10 I thought was very interesting. One day she was near a corn field that came up close to the house, she said suddenly the wind picked up, and out of the corn field walked a small girl, an Indian girl. Now everyone has heard of children having imaginary playmates, but I doubt that is the case with my sister. She talked to this girl on many occasions, always the wind would pick up before the girl appeared, and my sister came to call her “Wind Girl.” One day Wind Girl came and seemed sad, she said she would not be able to come visit my sister anymore….and that was the last time my sister saw her.
The only time I ever saw anything was when I was around 10 or 12 years old. I was awakened one night by my bed bouncing up and down, kind of like how it would feel if someone had their hands on the bed and was bouncing it up and down to try and wake the person sleeping there. As luck would have it, the source of the bouncing seemed to be coming from near the bottom of the bed, and on the opposite side from what I was facing. I remember pulling the covers up over my head, and being very frightened. The source of the bouncing seemed to come around to the bottom of the bed, then move a ways up the side I was facing. It would start and stop, sometimes being very gentle, sometimes bouncing very hard. After one of the pauses in the bouncing, I peeked out from under the covers and saw a small figure with sharp features, maybe about 4 feet in height, walk up along the side of the bed and disappear out of my sight.
There were also many times I heard tapping or knocking in the walls, and I many times felt like someone was watching me.
My sister had similar experiences there. Other than Wind Girl, I think there was only one time she saw anything as well. One Evening I was upstairs with my soon to be brother in law, and my sister was in the basement packing some clothing that was stored in a spare bedroom that had just recently been built down there. All at once we heard a scream, it took a couple seconds to react, we both kind of looked at each other for a second, then Tom took off for the basement with me right behind. We found my sister scared out of her wits, and saying something about a “haystack” with red eyes standing in the doorway looking at her when she turned around.
When that house was first built, it had a basement under all except the living room, which just had a crawl space. My sister and I soon came to call the opening to that crawl space the “spook hole.” There was a wood burning furnace there, right in the center of the basement, and little else. The bedroom previously mentioned was built by my father some years later because it was cool down there in the summer, and he and my mother often slept there in the hotter days of the year. (We did not have air conditioning).
One night when my sister and I were still up watching TV, and my father and mother had been down in the basement bedroom for a while, my mother suddenly came upstairs and went straight to the bedroom up there…saying nothing to my sister or myself as she quickly past by us. We thought little of it, though maybe a disagreement between them had brought her upstairs. About 15 or 20 minutes pass, suddenly my father comes up stairs at a very fast pace, he is looking pale, and there is no doubt he is frightened, he also passes us by without a word and goes into the upstairs bedroom where my mother was. Nothing was ever said by either of them. Several days of very hot weather pass, and they both continue to sleep upstairs. I think it was a couple weeks before they tried sleeping in the basement again, but they were eventually back there on a regular basis.
UPDATE: It has been several months since I wrote this story, and there is an event I decided I wanted to add. Only yesterday I found a “”Ghost” website and have been doing a lot of reading there, perhaps that was the incentive to add this as in a few places it spoke of ghosts trying to “get our attention.”
About 4 years ago my sister died from cancer. Through most of our lives we had not been close, but in the last years we shared a common hobby and I think that brought us closer. She was 8 years older than I, and both of us had always believed in the supernatural and both of us had experiences with the supernatural in the past, as you saw from the preceding story.
She died only a few weeks before the event I am about to describe happened.
I had bought a new home about a year previous, and re-married only weeks before. My wife was still in the Philippines, so I was living alone at that time. One night shortly after going to bed I became aware that the light on the ceiling fan above my bed was on. That was the light I always used in that room, and I just kind of blew it off that I had not pulled the on/off chain quite good enough. I shut it off again and went back to bed.
The next night the same thing happened. I must admit it made me a bit uneasy. The thought that my sister might have been responsible did cross my mind. I shut the light off with a good tug and went back to bed.
The following night or two I think nothing happened, but on the 4th or 5th night the light came on again after I had shut it off and got in bed. I reached up and pulled the chain to turn it off, with a good firm pull. Minutes later it was back on again. Now I really was getting uneasy. I sat on the side of the bed for a moment and just thought. Finally, I said out loud…Judy, if you’re doing that it is scaring me…if you stop, I’ll know it was you.
Over four years have passed and that light has never come on by its self again. I have asked my wife if she ever had a similar experience with that light, and she has not.

No comments: